Friday, October 05, 2012

CEO Speaks, Bari Hamami, PT Trakindo Utama

JWW, October 4th 2012

CEO Speaks presenting Bari Hamami, CEO of PT Trakindo Utama, son of the Founder of Trakindo itself, AHK Hamami. Trakindo is the authorized dealer in Indonesia of Caterpillar products.

One that quite interesting is, I asked him a question during the Q&A session:
"Has or will Trakindo build its own machine?"
A quite simple question, but I'm sure I was representing the absolute dream of fellow Indonesian

He answered: 
"Yes we did! And it was super cool!! Back in 1983 Trakindo was trying to build a small tracktor with all of its Indonesian engineers resources. We build it and we sold it. But customer never cameback. We failed to create aftersell services, spareparts and those kind of things. Don't ever dream to build and sell your own product if the environment is not allowed you to. Especially when GOVERNMENT is not supporting you. Well, we still have that tracktor in our factory in Pulogadung. We keep it there. Not as a reminder of our failure, but as a spirit that one day we will get there."

I fully support his answer. I am thinking about companies like Huawei or ZTE, Chinese Telecommunication Vendor, which happen have a lot of support from their Government. They are rapidly growing! Seriously! Even beat the mature western companies. 

I also thinking about my former company, which a local Telecommuniation vendor. We were hit so bad because Government at that time promise to publish policy that require every companies in Indonesia to use more percentage of local made products. But the policy was never published, and many local companies were in pain. Only several could survive. 

Government play important role in local industries. Honestly, very important! I wonder about Mahatma Gandhi phylosophy to made-use-utilize India's own-country products. I believe that's what happens in USA. They are livin the Gandhi's phylosophy since long long time ago. They produce for themselves, and they consume for themselves. And they export the innovations to the world. 

Well, Indonesia should do the same thing. At least starts with me. My beautiful brain is rest too much. It's time for learn, invent and be creative. So help me God.

No comments: